When it comes to building a good marriage with your husband to be it is vital that you not only invest in your relationship with him but also in your relationship with his parents. Investing in your relationship with the in-laws will massively help the foundation of your marriage and will make it much easier for both sides of the family to merge as one. In order to get on the good side of your in-laws, you must know how to break into them individually. This means that how you are with your mother in law should be a little bit different from how you are with your father in law.
Getting along with a mother-in-law can be quite difficult sometimes but because we love their son/daughter, we must always try and get along with them. The following are a few tips to help you get along with your mother-in-law;
- Always remain polite. Under no circumstances should you ever be rude or act in a snide way regardless of how you are feeling that day. Nothing turns off a mother in law more than someone who is only polite at certain times and unpleasant at others.
- Act as if you like her even if you don’t. You wouldn’t want your mother-in-law to know that you don’t like her. You always have to keep in mind that she is a very important person in your spouse’s life.
- Speak nicely about her son. Never ever talk badly about her son in any way no matter how comfortable you may be feeling about sharing things with her. She is his mother after all and all you will get is her protective mother instincts if you ever talk badly about your partner.
- Get to know her. As much as she will want to know what you are about, it is good if you show the same interest in her. Don’t just be answering her question, show her that you actually want to get to know her more and be closer in any way that you can.
- Give her gifts where necessary. Giving a gift to someone can be because of different reasons for example during holidays or when trying to appreciate someone. Sending your mother-in-law gifts shows that you think about her often and that you care for her.
- Inflict humour when she is in a bad mood. They say laughter is the best medicine. If you get the opportunity to make your mother-in-law laugh till her ribs hurt, do it. These are the moments she will live to remember and she will like you even more.
- Compliment her. Mothers-in-law love a good compliment and they will never tire of it! So, when she cooks or organizes something be sure to let her know great she is. Say these things with a warm smile to show that you are actually genuine about it.
- Ask for her advice in life. Doing this will show her how much you respect and value her opinion. This will really make her feel like you appreciate her say and there is nothing better for a mother in law than knowing her future daughter in law actually wants to know her opinions on things that matter.
- Remind her how lucky you are to have her son/daughter in your life. This will mean that you appreciate how she raised her child. Nothing feels good like being appreciated.
- Call her and check up on her frequently. Calling your mother-in-law from time to time will make her feel loved and not abandoned. But try not to do it so frequently that she gets annoyed.