Kano State’s latest wave of mass deaths isn’t getting any better and residents are very worried, not because it is an unusual situation, but because the State government continues to turn a blind eye.
National Pivot had previously reported that Kano residents were left dumbfounded after reports of secret burials of over 150 bodies went viral on social media. Even more disturbing is the fact that the cause of these deaths remain unknown amid fears it could covid-19 related.
Although the Ganduje led Kano State government has announced it would conduct an investigation into the cause of the deaths, it however, insists such massive deaths aren’t unusual in a state with over 15 million people.
However since the issue was first reported last week, the number of deaths continue to rise.
A report by Daily Trust suggested the cause of deaths according to residents particularly those affected, is typhoid and malaria instead of covid-19 as widely feared.
The report claims about 15 people died from severe malaria and typhoid fever within Zangon Barebari neighbourhood alone, between Wednesday and Friday. 67 more corpses were said to have been buried Dandolo Cemetery between Wednesday and Thursday.
On factors contributing to the reported mass deaths, Dr. Usman Bashir of Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital (AKTH), said there are many issues that need to be taken into consideration first before one would be able to tell the reason behind the mass deaths of the elderly in the state but the need for a proper investigation is essential.
But the effect of covid-19 in the State cannot be entirely ruled out considering the rates at which the cases continue to rise, and fear of under reported cases. Number of confirmed covid-19 cases in state is still over 70, as total cases in the country crosses the 1000 mark.