Kingpin Behind Kankara School Boys Kidnapping Surrenders And Gives Up 20 AK-47 Rifles In Katsina Amnesty Deal
News emanating from Katsina has it that the kingpin behind last December 2020 infamous abduction of the Kankara Schoolboys in the Northwest of Katsina state, has surrendered to the authorities in an amnesty deal.
The kidnapping kingpin was named as Auwalun Daudawa. It was he who allegedly led dozens of unknown gunmen who kidnapped the Kankara school boys from their hostels on December 14, 2020. The brazen kidnapping took place less than 200km away from Daura, President Muhammadu Buhari’s hometown, while he was on a visit.
The infamous kidnapping was a big indicator on the perpetual state of insecurity in the country, particularly the Northwest, which was incessantly under the control of armed kidnappers and bandits.
According to sources close to local authorities in Katsina, Daudawa gave himself up to government officials on Monday, alongside six of his lieutenants. The bandit-kidnappers reportedly gave up 20 AK-47 rifles and other weapons at a handing over ceremony. Sadly, it won’t be the first time bandits would be getting amnesty in the Northwest and later be returning to their vomit. Would this be any different?
According to security sources, 43-year-old Auwalun Daudawa, was an armed robber and a cattle rustler before he took to gun-running. He was said to have received training from jihadists in Libya, the same place he gets the weapons he sells to bandits. He also specializes in seizing weapons from the Nigerian security forces in raids and ambushes.
Daudawa was said to be taking opportunity of the amnesty window open for the peaceful surrender and disarmament of armed bandits by the Katsina State Government. The repentant Daudawa revealed he and his lieutenants operated from hidden camps in the Rugu Forest which covers between Zamfara, Katsina, Kaduna, and Niger states.
Is it safe to assume the surrender of Daudawa and his group will bring about lasting peace in Katsina and the Northwest region or is just another clever ruse for the bandits to enjoy government largesse as reward for their crimes? Who becomes repentant following a slap-on-the-wrist treatment from government? What’s your view?
(Image Credit – globaltimesng)
Embattled IGP Adamu Faults Claims That He Paid N2 Billion For Tenure Extension, Threatens To Sue Publisher
Since the initial expiration of his tenure as Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has been beset with one controversy or the other. This time he’s dealing with claims that he paid N2 billion to have his expired tenure shadily extended.
According to reports from New York-based online agency, Sahara Reporters, the embattled IGP was said to have paid N2 billion to have his tenure extended last week by President Muhammadu Buhari. Who did Adamu pay to? Who and who are involved in this alleged cash-for-tenure-elongation deal? That’s what everyone’s waiting for.
Sahara Reporters Monday story, claimed a rattled and frustrated Adamu had consulted, solicited and spent furiously in anticipation a 12-month extension to his already expired tenure and only to be disappointed with a mere 90-day duty shift.
The IG has, however, reacted swiftly with the speed of a wind that the Omoyele Sowere-led media outfit got it totally wrong. Pouring water on Sahara Reporter’s claims, the IG through the Police Spokesman, Frank Mba, said the claims were untrue, unfounded, libelous and defamatory.
To those who don’t know Sowere and the IG had never been the best of friends from Day One because of the nature of Sowore’s work (Exclusive exposes and co.) So these accusation and counter-accusation back and forth isn’t unexpected at all.
Adamu not only denied the falsity of the tenure-elongation story, he’s threatening to sue online media outfit over the viral Monday publication. Adamu said unlike the position of the false media claim, he had no plans to celebrate any tenure elongation because it was a decision based on the president’s discretion and prerogative.
While there’s nothing wrong of media outfits breaking exclusive news and happenings in the country, is it right to embellish their claims with a false claim or two because of virality? Do you think the IG’s threat to sue Sahara Reporters is the right thing or he’s merely trying to gag the press?
(Image Credit – topnaija.com)
NCDC Warns Unsuspecting Public Of Fake Covid-19 Test Results As It Seals Unnamed FCT Health Facility
It’s open secret that unscrupulous Nigerians would do anything for money but their desperation has gotten to the issuance of fake Covid-19 results. And a medical facility was nabbed in the act and shut down by the NCDC in the FCT.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has come out to warn Nigerians to be wary of paying for fake Covid-19 test results as it sealed an unnamed health centre in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja for crossing the public health safety line.
The unnamed facility had putting people’s lives in the line of danger for cash by capitalizing on their desperation for urgent Covid-19 test results for documentation purposes, particularly those who want to travel out of the country. But how is it even remotely possible for anyone to successfully pull off this racket?
All the shady facility’s staff do is collect payment for Covid-19 samples and dump them somewhere without carrying out any tests. It’s the lack of evidence for running the required tests on collected Covid-19 samples that got the facility in hot water with the NCDC.
Speaking on the alarming development at the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 (PTF) briefing, Director-General of the NCDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, said the fraudulent act can contribute to further spread of the COVID-19 virus, which could in turn lead to more infections and loss of more lives among Nigerians.
The NCDC it was learnt began acting when a Covid-19 tests result racket got exposed at the Port Health Services of the Abuja Airport through an investigative report published by an online news publication.
Dr Ihekweazu as a matter of public advisory has appealed to the general public to get accurate information on accredited testing centers in the country from the NCDC’s site and desist from patronizing centers where they could be fleeced by fraudulent persons.
(Image Credit – guardian.ng)
CBN And SEC Dragged To Court Over Cryptocurrency Ban By CSO – Digital Rights Lawyers
The brouhaha brewing between proponents of the digital currency exchange format (cryptocurrency) and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) seems to be destined for only one place – the court of law.
A Civil Society Organisation, the Digital Rights Lawyers Initiative, has dragged the Central Bank of Nigeria and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to court over the apex bank’s decision to prevent deposit money banks from dealing in cryptocurrencies.
Digital Rights had in a suit filed in a Lagos court said the CBN (the first defendant) lacked the power to restrict financial institutions from dealing in crypto.
The SEC was joined in the suit as second defendant to uphold its position that crypto is a legal digital assets protected under section 44 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999.
Digital Rights is asking the court to declare the CBN’s position on cryptocurrencies null and unconstitutional while also barring the apex bank from further regulating crypto and other currencies.
Seems we have a stalemate with this move coming from Digital Rights Lawyers, they (the CBN) didn’t see it coming at all;
Central Bank of Nigeria 1-1 Digital Rights and concerned citizens
Testing the position of the law on any matter is always the best, and Digital Rights Lawyers deserve a pat on the back.
Where do you think the court verdict would swing when the case takes off? Do you think the CBN’s fears of crypto being used as a money-laundering platform is informed or another trick by the powers that be to hold the people back?
(Image Credit – google.com)
#DefendLagos: Counter-Protest To #OccupyLekkiTollgate Gathers Storm
Barely 24 hours after Lagos youths voiced their displeasure over the return of operation of the Lekki Tollplaza to LCC with #OccupyLekkiTollgate, a counter-protest is already brewing and gathering pace at breakneck speed.
The counter-protest rally which is trending under the #DefendLagos and #DemNoBornYourPapaWell has garnered no less than a combined 65,000 tweets.
It is feared the counter-rally was birthed by the anger of many Lagosians to the burning and destruction of public property on 21 October 2020, which was triggered by the earlier shooting and maiming of citizens at the Lekki Toll plaza.
With the counter-agitation scheduled for the same Lekki Toll Gate plaza venue and at the same time (7a.m.) as that of #OccupyLekkiTollgate rally there are fears of tension boiling over already.
Chief Press Secretary to the Lagos State Governor, Gboyega Akosile’s had in a reaction to the #OccupyLekkiTollgate protest tweeted,
“nobody will bring our dear Lagos State down! Their rights end where other people’s rights begin.” Any ideas who he’s speaking for on this?
Both sides of the Lekki Toll plaza agitation have issued a series of threats and counter-threats to see their protests through in very harsh tones. On one side, it’s a civil rights agitation, on the other it is taking an ethnic/bigotry dimension, with youths of Igbo and Yoruba extraction trading tribal jabs.
Fingers have been pointed at political actors from the ruling APC and the opposition PDP as the muscle behind this latest development.
The police and the Lagos State Government are yet to officially address the building development and it is hope violent escalations are avoided in this current agitation over the Lekki Toll Gate plaza’s reopening.
(Image Credit – twitter.com)
Rubber Bullets Used On Myanmar Protesters As They Defy Military Authorities Over Coup
If the military rulers of Myanmar thought they were going to have an easy return to the seat of power, then the people have proven them very, very wrong.
The police in Myanmar have shot a protesters with rubber bullets during a demonstration in the capital Nay Pyi Taw, where thousands of people have defied a ban imposed on protests.
Myanmar citizens are demonstrating against a coup that removed the elected government of the country last week.
The new military leader, General Min Aung Hlaing’s warning that no-one is above the law was met with stiff resistance which has seen people pouring into the streets for four straight days. General Hlaing had placed a ban on large public gatherings and night-time curfews in some cities when he seized power.
The protesters have been demanding the release of elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who was arrested when the Myanmar military seized power last week. Senior leaders of her National League for Democracy Party (NLD) were also arrested.
A female demonstrator had gotten seriously hurt from a head wound in the confrontations and another had chest injuries. It’s not yet clear how exactly they were wounded. Water cannon and tear gas have also been used against the determined protesters.
(Image Credit – bbc.com)
CACOVID And BUA Group Bicker Over COVID-19 Vaccines
It appears credit over who made provision for the availability of one million vaccines to treat Covid-19, has rented Cacovid and BUA Group apart.
The Coalition Against COVID-19 (CACOVID) is in a messy jam with one of its members, BUA group, over claims of who paid pharmaceutical company, AstraZeneca, for one million doses of its COVID-19 vaccines meant for delivery to Nigeria.
$3.45m for paid for the one million dosages meant for AstraZeneca to deliver. A whooping N1.311bn! This ought to make everyone happy right? Wrong…At least according to those who are miffed BUA is claiming all the credit to itself.
BUA Group’s late Monday claim on the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines, hadn’t gone down well with Cacovid, which had facilitated for the vaccines to be made available through the AfreximBank vaccine programme.
While BUA Group claimed the payment was made by the company in good faith, it appears some other powerful of Cacovid didn’t like the undertone with which the company made it look like the feat was achieved by itself all alone.
The question is, who ailing Nigerians care who purchased the vaccine used for their treatment of the dreaded Corona Virus? Are these business men being petulant or BUA Group was wrong for claiming for itself what it took everyone to achieve?
(Image Credit – google.com)